Marrionetta

Regular Non-Dragon Egg Group Breed Releases

We recently had a release of 3 individuals from the breedable non-dragon egg groups - a pygmy, a two-head, and a drake.

NDEG breeds aren't for everybody, but it can be presumed a lot of this stems from few mate choices to contribute to meaningful lineage projects.

How often would you guys like to get new NDEGs? Once every year? Once every few months? Would you like to see them included with dragon group releases, or clustered together like this past release?

Anyway, discuss your hopes for how these niche breeds are handled. Go.

Edited by Marrionetta

Arguments:

Cyradis4 suggests mixed releases including NDEGs and hybrids.

Odeen posits mixed releases including 1 NDEG breed would need to be more frequent than every 3 months, or it would give us on average 3 NDEGs a year.

Purplehaze suggests 1:1 ratio of dragons to NDEG in future releases.

Vhale hypothesizes more NDEG releases might change player objectives long enough to solve perceived breed ratio issue.

Dragongrrl suggests 1 of each non dragon egg group a year plus one hybrid. (Counter to Odeen) She further suggests raising the current pool to a total of 9 in each egg group, and then halting further releases to one per year per group.

Ainisarie supports including NDEG breeds in releases, but would like to see a general reduction in release frequency.

Nataya cites positive user response to Glaucus breed implicating future acceptance of expanded drake breeding pool.

Oddsoxdi cautions more NDEG releases diminishes dragon group expansion. (Counter to Purplehaze)

Zaverxi suggests releasing interacting or heavily thematic drakes and dragons together - "do dragons keep pets?"

Guillotine cautions that increased popularity of NDEGs would create demand problems.

Fuzzbucket cites Pumpkins as precedent for NDEG holiday breed.

Fiona Bluefire recommends 20 as a minimum 'catch up' target for each non dragon group. Also mentions utility of having variety of colors of sprites for lineage makers. (Counter to Dragongrrl)

Harlequinraven suggests adding rare NDEGs or NDEG breeds with BSAs might spur interest in them.

Syphoneira proposes including a non dragon or hybrid along side regular dragon releases when feasible.

Edited by Marrionetta

I'd really like to see more NDEG but I think we need them more than once a year. Maybe every few months. And I'm not sure if I'd rather see them in clusters like this or mixed in with regular dragons. I'll have to think about that.

Well, the reason I don't breed the NDEG is because there are so few choices for mates. tongue.gif That, and about half of those that are out aren't.... really to my liking.

So! Yes, more breeds of them would be Very Good.

As for how often.... Well, that depends on how many nice breeds there are, in the query. Personally, I'd like to see at least a couple a year, but you also have to be careful and balance it out with regular dragons.

I think I prefer mixed releases, so some "niche" along with at least 1 regular or hybrid, to cover all bases.

Cheers!

C4.

I think every few months in a package together with a dragon group is the best.

I really like to have more choices for breeding for my NEDG critters lurking on my scroll.

Maybe a green Two-Headed non Lindwurm? *dreamy sight*

Edited by Tigerkralle

I think if their releases are going to be interspersed with regular dragons, they need to be released more than every few months. Assuming you get 1 NDEG per mixed release and you only get a mixed release every 3 months, factoring in the holiday drought you're going to get approx. 3 new NDEGS a year which is the equivalent of a single release.

More breedable non-dragons = awesome!

I totally vote for more NDEGs. And I don't mind if they're mixed in with regular dragons. Why should that make a difference? Once a year would not be enough. Every few months sounds good, I suppose. Or just randomly mixed in. Sometimes more, sometimes fewer--whichever it happens to be.

I'd like to see more NDEGs throughout each year. They're so few in numbers compared to regular dragons. There's a few lineages people can do, but those options are still limited.

Also, (although looks are subjective) there's very few NDEGs that look good together in a checkerboard. An example would be I want to see a drake that looks good with the Glaucus Drake. Its colors don't really go together with any of the other drakes up to this point. The most recent release with the Magelight Pygmy... it goes with almost every pygmy out there. The Magelight has serious lineage potential. While not everyone cares about lineages, I think the ones that do need more dragons to work with.

I think grouping together in one release was a good idea. We don't need all three NDEGs in one release, but perhaps 1-3 of a single type. Do that three times a year, once per type, and we add 1-3 per type a year. OR something like that. I think that sounds reasonable.

We need more Two-heads, Drakes, and Pygmies.

I think if their releases are going to be interspersed with regular dragons, they need to be released more than every few months. Assuming you get 1 NDEG per mixed release and you only get a mixed release every 3 months, factoring in the holiday drought you're going to get approx. 3 new NDEGS a year which is the equivalent of a single release.

Yea, or you could do 2 non-dragons to 1 dragon every few months. I think that the non-regulars are easier and less stressful to get than the regular dragons.

And I wouldn't mind them being release as 2 breeds a month, 1 regular and 1 non-regular. Especially if you throw in Hybrids into the "non-regular" category.

Cheers!

C4.

I'm all for more NEDG's and definitely more likely to use them in lineages if there is more choice.

To be honest have never really thought about how often but a couple of times a year/ every few months seems reasonable.

I think I'd prefer them released along with other 'normal' dragons but honestly I'm not overly fussed as long as they do get released smile.gif

I'm mostly interested in two-headed dragons.. have no use for drakes or pygmies.. so I would LOVE more two-headeds. I'd prefer them be released as part of a mixed group.. 2 regular dragons and one off-type, be it a hybrid, a restricted breeder or an unbreedable. If every regular release included one off-type, I'd be happy.

I'm mostly interested in two-headed dragons.. have no use for drakes or pygmies.. so I would LOVE more two-headeds. I'd prefer them be released as part of a mixed group.. 2 regular dragons and one off-type, be it a hybrid, a restricted breeder or an unbreedable. If every regular release included one off-type, I'd be happy.

I think that's a pretty good idea, although I feel that hybrids could be added to every release, since there is no rush in catching them. Of course, NDEG could also include a couple of unbreedables. We have several dinos on the completed list, for example. (No, I don't collect dinos - but other people do.)

I'd also like them to be mixed in with regular releases. 1/2 normal dragons and a NDEG, be it pygmy, drake, hybrid or whatever. It adds some nice variety to the release.

I don't think it's likely to be very effective trying to come up with even vague-ish numbers on how often (relatively speaking or otherwise) NDEGs should be released, not knowing how many good'uns are on the completed list or what plans/constraints/expectations TJ has already, but I will add my voice to those saying we could do with more NDEGs if that's a workable plan. Just so long as we don't end up going six months without an ordinary dragon again xd.png

I don't think it's likely to be very effective trying to come up with even vague-ish numbers on how often (relatively speaking or otherwise) NDEGs should be released, not knowing how many good'uns are on the completed list or what plans/constraints/expectations TJ has already, but I will add my voice to those saying we could do with more NDEGs if that's a workable plan. Just so long as we don't end up going six months without an ordinary dragon again xd.png

I count 12 ish Drakes, only a couple of 2-headed, a half dozen at most hybrids, and 30+ Pygmies on the completed list. In truth, only a couple of the Drakes, 2-heads, and Hybrids probably have a chance, though the Pygmies have a lot of super nice ones. So from the numbers, there's not a lot of selection for the Hybrids, Drakes, and 2-heads, though the Pygmies we could go to town on.

So! If I were allowed to decide what would be released, I'd do:

This year: 1 Pygmy and 1 regular dragon + maybe something else each month

Next year: 1 non-normal and 1 regular + maybe something else each month

The reason behind the Pygmies this year is to give people time to actually create more non-standard concepts. tongue.gif Once the non-standard ones start getting released, people will make more, I'm sure. And if we start running out of "nice" projects? Hey, there's plenty of regular dragons. biggrin.gif

Cheers!

C4.

So that's what NDEG stands for. I was left scratching my head after someone mentioned them a day or two ago somewhere. laugh.gif

Anyway, I definitely think we need more of them. They would get more love if there were more lineage-building options. Predatorfan mentioned the Glaucus drakes and I agree -- they are lovely, but don't really blend well with any of the current drakes in lineages.

I think one NDEG in each monthly release, along with a regular Western or Eastern breed would be just about right. I know there are a lot of pygmies on the completed list. I'm not so sure about drakes and two-heads, but I hope there are at least a few viable options there.

I've already posted in other spots my feelings. Restating here.

There's many complaints about rarity, breeding and golds. Imo, part of the problem is the changes in the last year or two have made it too easy to mine eggs and encouraged people to breed/hoard shinies, throwing things off whack. Introducing species/eggs etc would give time for those ratios to even out and give people something else to hunt. For example, it's been 6 years since the last Dino release. It's time for another. DCave needs variety in the breeds.

Sadly, it looks like my suggestion thread on releasing the Dinos was deleted. People have proven hostile towards non dragon releases when posted here.

Edited by Vhale

When new arguments, suggestions, or concerns are raised, I am linking the posts first containing them in the second post of this thread for easy reference.

Dissenting opinions and constructive lines of questioning are also welcome.

I wouldn't mind more NDEG releases. I prefer regular dragons since there are more options with them, but I think that if more pygmies, two-headed, and drake species were released, then my stance could easily change. There are many drake species that I do like that are currently sitting on the completed list.

I like the earlier posted idea where in a multi-breed release, where there could be one regular dragon and one hybrid/non-regular dragon type released. This way, more new species could be introduced without everyone grabbing their fill and then just having them sit there because there isn't much to work with in terms of breeding (like the newest dragons seem to be doing).

One a year for each of the dragon sub-species, one hybrid as well. That's enough for me.

I really can't use the NDEG designation, since Drake is simply another word for Dragon, based from the original Latin root, Draco. Sir Francis Drake was also known as Sir Francis Dragon, as a play on the word's root and his reputation as a fierce marauder and privateer. The two-headed types are two-headed Dragons, not double-headed cauliflowers or anything other than Dragons. And Pygmies are Pygmy Dragons. They may not breed with the bulk of the Dragon breeds, but please don't demean them by calling them Non-Dragons.

Edited beacuse while the NDEG designation rankles me, my defintion is not a point of debate for this thread. My first paragraph is the crux of the biscuit.

Edited by dragongrrl

With more options how to breed them I am sure they will become more popular.

So I am for regular releases.

One a year for each of the dragon sub-species, one hybrid as well. That's enough for me.

I really can't use the NDEG designation, since Drake is simply another word for Dragon, based from the original Latin root, Draco. Sir Francis Drake was also known as Sir Francis Dragon, as a play on the word's root and his reputation as a fierce marauder and privateer. The two-headed types are two-headed Dragons, not double-headed cauliflowers or anything other than Dragons. And Pygmies are Pygmy Dragons. They may not breed with the bulk of the Dragon breeds, but please don't demean them by calling them Non-Dragons.

They may all be dragons by your definition, but by and large dragons are widely varied and go by different descriptions and labels depending on the work or mythology they're a part of. Dragon Cave simply uses different definitions, and it is in no way demeaning to call them non-dragons, as it is in no way inherently derogatory.

Also, simply because two words have the same base word doesn't mean they're the same word. The rapid evolution of the ridiculous English language wholeheartedly rejects being bound by rules like that.

Edited by Sylph264

DC's breeding works like Pokemon, in that there are several egg groups and they cannot breed with each other (although some pokemon have multiple egg groups). In the context of this thread, "dragon" refers to any breed that can breed with, say, white dragons. A pygmy cannot breed with whites, nor can a two-head, nor can a drake.

Naturally they are all dragons - or at least drakonoids - everyone knows that. But it's pedantry to say you can't call them NDEGs because of the origins of a word.